Unlike MySpace, Facebook, and other personal Social Media sites, the above sites are set up to be business-oriented. It should be noted that one can use Facebook for business solutions. Visit http://www.insidefacebook.com to learn how to incorporate Facebook into your marketing program.
The following are some examples on using Social Media for business applications:
- Develop focused target list by using search capabilities of LinkedIn
- Use contact tools in Jigsaw
- Use Facebook to build a group around a new product or service you want to launch. This is a good way of beta testing and getting feedback.
- Select a professional network
- Create a presence on that network
- Invite a few colleagues to join
- Ask colleagues what networks they belong to and join them.
As you become more active in Social Media networks always remember that they are a means to an end not an end in themselves. You should always be guided by the following:
- Developing a presence to extend your brand
- Reaching out to potential employees
- Gathering feed back about your products and services
- Building a sales prospect profile