Jut a reminder as we continue this discussion – remember you cannot spam – it is the law!
So how do I build up my email list to send this perfect email to? There is actually two parts to this question. The first is to get legitimate emails and the second is to keep them on your list (not opting out).
The second part is straight-forward: target the right people and keep your emails relevant and engaging:
- Keep it relevant – tell your audience about things they are interested in.
- Tailor to your audience – consider different emails to different sub-targets
- Attract attention with your subject line
- Get straight to the point – people do not like you to waste their time
- Use simple language – create text that is simple to understand and very clear on benefits and call to action
- Offer exclusive benefits – offer special benefits that will appeal to your audience
- Correct frequency – send on a regular basis but only when you have something relevant to talk about.
Collect information on-line: Place sing-up (opt-in) requests on your web site and other similar locations.
- On every page of your web site
- E-mail signature
- On your blog
- On banner ads and online advertising
- Online directories
- Swap business cards
- Guest book on counter or in office
- Business card bowl at trade shows and events
- Train employees to capture customer information
- Send a postcard offering an incentive to return card with email information
- Position sign-up request to add value to the mailing piece
- Add sign-up incentive
- Always add your domain name to ALL print media